Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to brews: craft brews
makes beer, ale, tea, coffee, etc.; concocts, schemes, devises: brews a plan
Not to be confused with:
bruise – an injury that does not break the skin but produces a discoloration; contusion; to injure slightly: bruise someone’s feelings
v. brewed, brew·ing, brews
1. To make (ale or beer) from malt and hops by infusion, boiling, and fermentation.
2. To make (a beverage) by boiling, steeping, or mixing various ingredients: brew tea.
3. To concoct; devise: brew a plot to overthrow the government.
1. To make ale or beer as an occupation.
2. To be made by boiling or steeping: As the coffee brewed, I paced in the kitchen.
3. To be imminent; impend: "storms brewing on every frontier" (John Dos Passos).
a. A beverage made by brewing.
b. A serving of such a beverage.
2. Something produced as if by brewing; a mix: Their politics were a strange brew of idealism and self-interest.