Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A plant (Brassica oleracea var. italica) in the mustard family, having dense clusters of numerous green flower buds.
2. The flower clusters of this plant, eaten as a vegetable before the flower buds open.
[Italian, pl. of broccolo, flowering sprout of a turnip, diminutive of brocco, shoot, sprout, from Vulgar Latin *brocca, spike; see brocade.]
1. (Plants) a cultivated variety of cabbage, Brassica oleracea italica, having branched greenish flower heads
2. (Plants) the flower head of this plant, eaten as a vegetable before the buds have opened
3. (Plants) a variety of this plant that does not form a head, whose stalks are eaten as a vegetable
[C17: from Italian, plural of broccolo a little sprout, from brocco sprout, spike; see brocade]
broc•co•li(ˈbrɒk ə li, ˈbrɒk li)
a form of cruciferous plant, Brassica oleracea botrytis: the leafy stalks and clusters of green buds are eaten as a vegetable.
[1690–1700; < Italian, pl. of broccolo, derivative of brocc(o) sprout < Late Latin; see broach]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||broccoli - plant with dense clusters of tight green flower buds|
broccoli - branched green undeveloped flower heads
|2.||broccoli - branched green undeveloped flower heads|
cruciferous vegetable - a vegetable of the mustard family: especially mustard greens; various cabbages; broccoli; cauliflower; brussels sprouts
bông cải xanh
broccoli[ˈbrɒkəli] n → brocoli m
n → Brokkoli pl, → Spargelkohl m