broker(redirected from brokered)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. One that acts as an agent for others, as in negotiating contracts, purchases, or sales in return for a fee or commission.
2. A stockbroker.
3. A power broker.
tr.v. bro·kered, bro·ker·ing, bro·kers
To arrange or manage as a broker: broker an agreement among opposing factions.
[Middle English brokour, from Anglo-Norman brocour, abrocour; akin to Spanish alboroque, ceremonial gift at conclusion of business deal, from Arabic al-barka, the blessing, colloquial variant of al-baraka : al-, the + baraka, blessing, divine favor (from bāraka, to bless; see brk in Semitic roots).]
1. (Stock Exchange) an agent who, acting on behalf of a principal, buys or sells goods, securities, etc, in return for a commission: insurance broker.
2. (Stock Exchange) (formerly) short for stockbroker
3. (Professions) a dealer in second-hand goods
(Stock Exchange) to act as a broker (in)
[C14: from Anglo-French brocour broacher (of casks, hence, one who sells, agent), from Old Northern French broquier to tap a cask, from broque tap of a cask; see broach1]
1. an agent who buys or sells for a principal on a commission basis.
2. a person who acts as an intermediary in arranging marriages, negotiating agreements, etc.
4. to act as a broker for: to broker the sale of a house.
5. to negotiate, arrange, or manipulate as a broker: a presidential nomination brokered by party pros; a brokered political convention.v.i.
6. to act as a broker.
[1350–1400; Middle English broco(u)r < Anglo-French broco(u)r, abrocour middleman]
broker- Originally, a broker or brokour bought wine cheaply in quantity and sold it at a profit; broker came to mean any retailer who did this, or a middleman/agent.
See also related terms for profit.
Past participle: brokered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||broker - a businessman who buys or sells for another in exchange for a commission|
brokerage, brokerage firm, securities firm - a stock broker's business; charges a fee to act as intermediary between buyer and seller
auctioneer - an agent who conducts an auction
estate agent, house agent, land agent, real estate agent, real estate broker - a person who is authorized to act as an agent for the sale of land; "in England they call a real estate agent a land agent"
ship broker - an agent for the ship owner; obtains cargo and may arrange for its loading or discharge
stockbroker - an agent in the buying and selling of stocks and bonds
syndic - one appointed to represent a city or university or corporation in business transactions
travel agent - someone who sells or arranges trips or tours for customers
|Verb||1.||broker - act as a broker|
commerce, commercialism, mercantilism - transactions (sales and purchases) having the objective of supplying commodities (goods and services)
سِمْسارسِمْسار، وَكيلٌ تِجاري
người môi giới
a person employed to buy and sell (especially shares etc) for others. an insurance broker; a stockbroker. makelaar سِمْسار، وَكيلٌ تِجاري посредник corretor jednatel, makléř der Makler mægler μεσίτης, χρηματιστής corredor/agente de bolsa maakler دلال؛ کارگذار kaupanvälittäjä courtier סוֹכֵן מְניוֹת दलाल broker alkusz, bróker pialang intermediario, mediatore; agente di cambio 仲買人 중개인 brokeris (biržas) mākleris; starpnieks; apdrošināšanas aģents broker makelaarmeklermakler دلال، کارپیداکوونکی corretor broker, agent de bursă брокер sprostredkovateľ, maklér posrednik broker mäklare นายหน้า komisyoncu, simsar 經紀人 брокер دلال người môi giới 经纪人