brooder(redirected from brooders)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. One that broods: brooders in the henhouse; a brooder over past errors.
2. A heated enclosure in which young fowl or livestock are raised.
1. (Breeds) an enclosure or other structure, usually heated, used for rearing young chickens or other fowl
2. a person or thing that broods
1. a device or structure for the rearing of young birds.
2. a person or animal that broods.
After baby chickens were hatched, they needed some sort of shelter to keep them warm when sleeping. If there was an old hen available that would take them, it was common to put them with her, but if a hen was not available, or if too many chicks had been hatched, using a brooder was one solution. Brooder heating and temperature control was much like that of an Incubator.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||brooder - apparatus consisting of a box designed to maintain a constant temperature by the use of a thermostat; used for chicks or premature infants|