Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A reddish-brown sandstone used as a building material.
2. A brick or stone townhouse, especially one faced with reddish-brown sandstone.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Geological Science) a reddish-brown iron-rich sandstone used for building
2. (Building) a house built of or faced with this stone
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a reddish brown sandstone.
2. a building fronted with this stone.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||brownstone - a reddish brown sandstone; used in buildings|
sandstone - a sedimentary rock consisting of sand consolidated with some cement (clay or quartz etc.)
|2.||brownstone - a row house built of brownstone; reddish brown in color|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
brownstone[ˈbraʊnstəʊn] N (US) → (casa f construida con) piedra f caliza de color rojizo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005