buddy(redirected from buddy up)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. bud·dies
1. A good friend; a comrade.
2. A partner, especially one of a pair or team associated under the buddy system.
3. Friend or comrade; chum. Used as a form of familiar address, especially for a man or boy: Watch it, buddy.
intr.v. bud·died, bud·dy·ing, bud·diesPhrasal Verb:
To associate as a buddy or buddies: buddied around with the older guys.
To ingratiate oneself, as by presuming friendship: buddied up to the coach in hopes of making the team.
[Probably alteration of brother.]
n, pl -dies
1. chiefly US and Canadian an informal word for friend Also called (as a term of address): bud
2. (Social Welfare) a volunteer who visits and gives help and support to a person suffering from AIDS
3. (Social Welfare) a volunteer who gives help and support to a person who has become disabled but is returning to work
vb, -dying or -died
(Social Welfare) (intr) to act as a buddy to a person suffering from AIDS
[C19: probably a baby-talk variant (US) of brother]
n., pl. -dies, n.
1. a friend, comrade, or partner; chum.v.i.
2. to become friendly or work closely together (usu. fol. by up or with).
Past participle: buddied
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||buddy - a close friend who accompanies his buddies in their activities|
cobber - Australian term for a pal
friend - a person you know well and regard with affection and trust; "he was my best friend at the university"
1. Informal. A person whom one knows well, likes, and trusts:
A. N (esp US) → amigo m, amigote m, compadre m (LAm), cuate m (Mex) , pata m (Peru) ; (in direct address) → hermano m, macho m (Sp)
buddy(ˈbadi) – plural ˈbuddies – noun
(especially American) a friend. vriend, maat صَديق приятел amigo kamarád, kámoš der Kumpel ven; kammerat φιλαράκι amigote semu, kaaslane دوست؛ رفیق kaveri copain, copineחבר एक मित्र kompa, prijatelj haver sahabat amico, compagno 相棒 동료 draugužis draugs; vecais zēns kawan maatkamerat, kompiskumpel ملګری، انډیوال compincha amic дружище kamarád, kamoš prijatelj ortak kompis, polare เพื่อน arkadaş, ahbap 朋友 приятель دوست bạn thân 朋友，伙伴