buffering(redirected from buffering video)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
1. One that buffs, especially a piece of soft leather or cloth used to shine or polish.
2. A buffing wheel.
1. Something that lessens or absorbs the shock of an impact.
2. One that protects by intercepting or moderating adverse pressures or influences: "A sense of humor ... may have served as a buffer against the ... shocks of disappointment" (James Russell Lowell).
3. Something that separates potentially antagonistic entities, as an area between two rival powers that serves to lessen the danger of conflict.
4. Chemistry A solution that resists a change in acidity when an acid or base is added to it, or a substance that facilitates this resistance.
5. Computers A device or area used to store data temporarily.
tr.v. buff·ered, buff·er·ing, buff·ers
1. To act as a buffer for or between.
2. Chemistry To treat (a solution) with a buffer.
3. Computers To hold or collect (data) in a buffer.
[Probably from obsolete buff, to make a sound like a soft body being hit, of imitative origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Computer Science) computing temporary storage of data
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
buffering[ˈbʌfərɪŋ] n (COMPUTING) (= storage) → mise f en mémoire tampon (= use) → utilisation f de la mémoire tamponbuffer memory n (COMPUTING) → mémoire f tamponbuffer state n → état m tamponbuffer zone n → zone f tampon
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (Comput) → Pufferung f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995