Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various aquatic or wetland sedges chiefly of the genus Scirpus, having grasslike leaves and usually clusters of small, often brown spikelets.
2. Any of several wetland plants of similar aspect, such as the papyrus and the cattail.
[Middle English bulrish : perhaps alteration (influenced by bule, bull) of bole, stem; see bole1 + rish, rush; see rush2.]
1. (Plants) a grasslike cyperaceous marsh plant, Scirpus lacustris, used for making mats, chair seats, etc
2. (Plants) a popular name for reed mace1
3. (Bible) a biblical word for papyrus1
[C15 bulrish, bul- perhaps from bull1 + rish rush2, referring to the largeness of the plant; sense 2 derived from the famous painting by Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1836–1912), Dutch-born English painter, of the finding of the infant Moses in the "bulrushes" — actually reed mace]
2. any of various rushes of the genera Scirpus, of the sedge family, and Typha, of the cattail family.
[1400–50; late Middle English bulrish papyrus]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bulrush - tall marsh plant with cylindrical seed heads that explode when mature shedding large quantities of down; its long flat leaves are used for making mats and chair seats; of North America, Europe, Asia and North Africa|
cattail - tall erect herbs with sword-shaped leaves; cosmopolitan in fresh and salt marshes
|2.||bulrush - tall rush with soft erect or arching stems found in Eurasia, Australia, New Zealand, and common in North America|
rush - grasslike plants growing in wet places and having cylindrical often hollow stems
الدّيس: عُشْبَةٌ مائِيَّه
bulrush[ˈbʊlrʌʃ] N → espadaña f
bulrush[ˈbʊlˌrʌʃ] n → stiancia
a tall strong water plant. biesie الدّيس: عُشْبَةٌ مائِيَّه папур junco rákos die Wasserbinse βούρλοjunco kõrkjas گیاه بوریا järvikaisla jonc קְנֶה-סוּף नरकट, नरकुल rogoz káka tumbuhan air giunco いぐさ 큰 고랭이속(屬)과 부들속의 식물 meldas meldrs sejenis pokok air bies sitowie پوزی junco trestie; papură камыш trstina trst rogoz säv, kaveldun ต้นกก saz, hasır otu 藺草 комиш, очерет ایک مضبوط آبی پودا cây hương bồ 宽叶香蒲，芦苇