Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. bumped, bump·ing, bumps
1. To strike or collide with: bumped the chair with a knee.
2. To cause to knock against an obstacle: bumped a knee against the chair.
a. To knock to a new position; shift: bumped the crate out of the way.
b. To shake up and down; jolt: bumped the child on her knee; was bumped about on a rough flight.
a. To displace from a position within a group or organization.
b. To deprive (a passenger) of reserved travel accommodations because of overbooking.
5. To raise; boost: bump up the price of gasoline.
6. Sports To pass (a volleyball) by redirecting it with the forearms.
1. To hit or knock against something: boxes bumping against one another in a truck.
2. To proceed with jerks and jolts: bumped along slowly over the rocky terrain.
3. Sports To bump a volleyball.
a. A blow, collision, or jolt.
b. The sound of something bumping: heard a loud bump in the dark.
a. A raised or rounded spot; a bulge.
b. A slight swelling or lump.
c. Informal See baby bump.
3. A rise or increase, as in prices or enrollment.
4. A forward thrust of the pelvis, as in a burlesque striptease.
5. Sports A pass in volleyball made by redirecting the ball with the inside of the forearms, especially when extended and held together.
a. A small dose of an illegal drug, especially cocaine inhaled in powdered form.
b. A shot of hard liquor, sometimes accompanied by a beer chaser.
To meet by chance: I often bump into him at the supermarket.
bump off Slang
(tr, adverb) slang to murder; kill
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||bump off - kill intentionally and with premeditation; "The mafia boss ordered his enemies murdered"|
kill - cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly; "This man killed several people when he tried to rob a bank"; "The farmer killed a pig for the holidays"
burke - murder without leaving a trace on the body
execute - murder in a planned fashion; "The Mafioso who collaborated with the police was executed"
3. To put out by force:
1. Violent forcible contact between two or more things: