burning bush(redirected from burning-bush)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. In the Bible, a bush on Mount Sinai that burned miraculously without being consumed by the flames, out of which God spoke to Moses.
2. also burn·ing-bush (bûr′nĭng-bo͝osh′) Botany
a. Any of several shrubs or shrubby plants, such as the summer cypress and certain species of euonymus, having foliage that turns bright red in autumn.
b. See gas plant.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a rutaceous shrub, Dictamnus fraxinella, of S Europe and Asia, whose glands release a volatile inflammable oil that can burn without harming the plant: identified as the bush from which God spoke to Moses (Exodus 3:2–4)
2. (Plants) any of several shrubs or trees, esp the wahoo, that have bright red fruits or seeds
3. (Plants) another name for gas plant
4. (Plants) any of several plants, esp kochia, with a bright red autumn foliage
5. (Bible) Old Testament the bush that burned without being consumed, from which God spoke to Moses (Exodus 3:2–4)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also called summer cypress. a shrubby plant, Kochia scoparia, of the goosefoot family, having dense foliage that turns red in autumn.
2. any of various plants of the genus Euonymus, of the staff-tree family, that have bright red foliage in autumn.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||burning bush - (Old Testament) the bush that burned without being consumed and from which God spoke to Moses|
Old Testament - the collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible
|2.||burning bush - deciduous shrub having purple capsules enclosing scarlet seeds|
|3.||burning bush - Eurasian perennial herb with white flowers that emit flammable vapor in hot weather|
|4.||burning bush - densely branched Eurasian plant; foliage turns purple-red in autumn|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.