Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to butcherbird: Cracticus
1. Any of several magpies of the genus Cracticus, native to Australia and New Guinea, that impale their prey on thorns.
2. Any of various unrelated birds of North America, Asia, or Europe that behave similarly, especially the shrikes.
1. (Animals) a shrike, esp one of the genus Lanius
2. (Animals) any of several Australian magpies of the genus Cracticus that impale their prey on thorns
1. any of several Eurasian or North American shrikes of the genus Lanius.
2. any of various large, heavy-billed, highly vocal songbirds of the genus Cracticus, of Australia and New Guinea.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||butcherbird - shrikes that impale their prey on thorns|
shrike - any of numerous Old World birds having a strong hooked bill that feed on smaller animals
|2.||butcherbird - large carnivorous Australian bird with the shrike-like habit of impaling prey on thorns|
Australian magpie - black-and-white oscine birds that resemble magpies