Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
top: open valve
bottom: closed valve
1. A disk turning on a diametrical axis inside a pipe, used as a throttle valve or damper.
2. A valve composed of two semicircular plates hinged on a common spindle, used to permit flow in one direction only.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a disc that acts as a valve by turning about a diameter, esp one used as the throttle valve in a carburettor
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a non-return valve consisting of two semicircular plates hinged about a common central spindle
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a clack valve having two flaps with a common hinge.
2. a valve, as the throttle valve in a carburetor, that swings about a central axis across its face.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||butterfly valve - a valve in a carburetor that consists of a disc that turns and acts as a throttle|
valve - control consisting of a mechanical device for controlling the flow of a fluid
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.