Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. An eastern North American walnut (Juglans cinerea) having light-brown wood, pinnately compound leaves, and a deeply furrowed nut enclosed in an egg-shaped, sticky, aromatic husk. Also called white walnut.
b. The nut of this tree, having an edible sweet kernel.
c. The wood of this tree, used for furniture, boxes, and interior finishes.
d. The bark of this tree.
e. A brownish dye obtained from the husks of the fruits of this tree.
a. butternuts Clothing dyed with butternut extract, especially the uniforms of Confederate soldiers in the Civil War.
b. Informal A Confederate soldier or partisan in the Civil War.
3. See souari nut.
[From the nut's oiliness.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nAlso called (for senses 1–4): white walnut
1. (Plants) a walnut tree, Juglans cinerea of E North America. Compare black walnut
2. (Plants) the oily edible egg-shaped nut of this tree
3. (Plants) the hard brownish-grey wood of this tree
4. (Plants) the bark of this tree or an extract from it, formerly used as a laxative
5. (Colours) a brownish colour or dye
6. (Plants) NZ short for butternut pumpkin
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the edible oily nut of an American tree, Juglans cinerea, of the walnut family.
2. the tree itself, whose bark and husks yield a light brown dye.
3. a Confederate soldier or partisan in the Civil War, esp. one whose uniform was dyed with this extract.
4. a light brown color.
5. souari nut.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A light brown dye used for Confederate uniforms, obtained from a solution of acorns or walnut hulls.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||butternut - North American walnut tree having light-brown wood and edible nuts; source of a light-brown dye|
butternut - oily egg-shaped nut of an American tree of the walnut family
|2.||butternut - oily egg-shaped nut of an American tree of the walnut family|
edible nut - a hard-shelled seed consisting of an edible kernel or meat enclosed in a woody or leathery shell
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.