Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. Having buttons extending down the front from the collar to the waist: a button-down shirt.
2. Fastened down by buttons: a button-down collar.
3. also but·toned-down (bŭt′nd-) Conservative, conventional, or unimaginative: "a colorful character in the buttoned-down, dull-gray world of business" (Newsweek).
A button-down shirt.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) (of a collar) having points that are fastened to the garment with buttons
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (of a shirt) having a button-down collar
3. (Clothing & Fashion) Also: buttoned-down conventional or conservative: a button-down corporate culture.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (of a collar) having buttonholes at the ends with which it can be buttoned to the front of the garment.
2. (of a garment) having a button-down collar.
3. Also, but′toned down′. conventional, unimaginative, or conservative.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||button-down - unimaginatively conventional; "a colorful character in the buttoned-down, dull-grey world of business"- Newsweek|
conventional - unimaginative and conformist; "conventional bourgeois lives"; "conventional attitudes"
|2.||button-down - of a shirt; having the ends of the collar fastened down by buttons; "Brooks Brothers button-down shirts"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj button-down collar → Button-down-Kragen m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007