button-down(redirected from buttoned down)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. Having buttons extending down the front from the collar to the waist: a button-down shirt.
2. Fastened down by buttons: a button-down collar.
3. also but·toned-down (bŭt′nd-) Conservative, conventional, or unimaginative: "a colorful character in the buttoned-down, dull-gray world of business" (Newsweek).
A button-down shirt.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) (of a collar) having points that are fastened to the garment with buttons
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (of a shirt) having a button-down collar
3. (Clothing & Fashion) Also: buttoned-down conventional or conservative: a button-down corporate culture.
1. (of a collar) having buttonholes at the ends with which it can be buttoned to the front of the garment.
2. (of a garment) having a button-down collar.
3. Also, but′toned down′. conventional, unimaginative, or conservative.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||button-down - unimaginatively conventional; "a colorful character in the buttoned-down, dull-grey world of business"- Newsweek|
conventional - unimaginative and conformist; "conventional bourgeois lives"; "conventional attitudes"
|2.||button-down - of a shirt; having the ends of the collar fastened down by buttons; "Brooks Brothers button-down shirts"|