Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to buttressing: angle buttress
1. A structure, usually brick or stone, built against a wall for support or reinforcement.
2. Something resembling a buttress, as:
a. The flared base of certain tree trunks.
b. A horny growth on the heel of a horse's hoof.
3. Something that serves to support, prop, or reinforce: "The law is by its very nature a buttress of the status quo" (J. William Fulbright).
tr.v. but·tressed, but·tress·ing, but·tress·es
1. To support or reinforce with a buttress.
2. To sustain, prop, or bolster: "The author buttresses her analysis with lengthy dissections of several of Moore's poems" (Warren Woessner).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||buttressing - a support usually of stone or brick; supports the wall of a building|
arc-boutant, flying buttress - a buttress that stands apart from the main structure and connected to it by an arch
support - supporting structure that holds up or provides a foundation; "the statue stood on a marble support"