bye(redirected from byely)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
secondary matter; side issue; short for good-bye; incidentally: By the bye, how was the dinner?
Not to be confused with:
buy – purchase: buy a car; to acquire by exchange or concession; to bribe: to buy votes; to accept or believe: I don’t buy that story.
by – next to; close to; a house by the sea; through the authority of: a study by the EPA; according to: a lousy movie by anyone’s standards; no later than: I’m usually home by late afternoon.
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
bye 1also by (bī)
1. A secondary matter; a side issue.
2. Sports The position of one who draws no opponent for a round in a tournament and so advances to the next round.
by the bye/by
By the way; incidentally.
Used to express farewell.
[Short for goodbye.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Individual Sports, other than specified) sport the situation in which a player or team in an eliminatory contest wins a preliminary round by virtue of having no opponent
2. (Golf) golf one or more holes of a stipulated course that are left unplayed after the match has been decided
3. (Cricket) cricket a run scored off a ball not struck by the batsman: allotted to the team as an extra and not to the individual batsman. See also leg bye
4. something incidental or secondary
5. by the bye incidentally; by the way: used as a sentence connector
[C16: a variant of by]
informal Brit goodbye
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n. Also, by.
1. (in a tournament) the preferential status of a player or team not paired with a competitor in an early round and thus automatically advanced to play in the next round.
2. something subsidiary or secondary.adj.
3. by 1.Idioms:
by the bye, by the way; incidentally.
[1710–20; variant sp. of by1 in its n. sense “side way”]
var. of by-: bye-election.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A run not struck by the bat and allotted to extras.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bye - you advance to the next round in a tournament without playing an opponent; "he had a bye in the first round"|
|2.||bye - a farewell remark; "they said their good-byes"|
adieu, adios, arrivederci, au revoir, auf wiedersehen, bye-bye, cheerio, good day, goodby, good-by, goodbye, good-bye, sayonara, so long
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
bye1 [baɪ] EXCL (= goodbye) → adiós, hasta luego, chao or chau (esp LAm)
bye for now! → ¡hasta luego!
bye2 [baɪ] N
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
bye[ˈbaɪ] excl → au revoir!, salut!
bye bye → au revoir!, salut!bye-law [ˈbaɪlɔː]
see bylawby-election [ˈbaɪɪlɛkʃən] n (British) → élection f (législative) partielle
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
bye[baɪ] excl (fam) (also bye-bye) → ciao!, arrivederci
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995