bye(redirected from byely)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
bye 1also by (bī)
1. A secondary matter; a side issue.
2. Sports The position of one who draws no opponent for a round in a tournament and so advances to the next round.
by the bye/by
By the way; incidentally.
Used to express farewell.
[Short for goodbye.]
1. (Individual Sports, other than specified) sport the situation in which a player or team in an eliminatory contest wins a preliminary round by virtue of having no opponent
2. (Golf) golf one or more holes of a stipulated course that are left unplayed after the match has been decided
3. (Cricket) cricket a run scored off a ball not struck by the batsman: allotted to the team as an extra and not to the individual batsman. See also leg bye
4. something incidental or secondary
5. by the bye incidentally; by the way: used as a sentence connector
[C16: a variant of by]
informal Brit goodbye
n. Also, by.
1. (in a tournament) the preferential status of a player or team not paired with a competitor in an early round and thus automatically advanced to play in the next round.
2. something subsidiary or secondary.adj.
3. by 1.Idioms:
by the bye, by the way; incidentally.
[1710–20; variant sp. of by1 in its n. sense “side way”]
var. of by-: bye-election.
A run not struck by the bat and allotted to extras.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bye - you advance to the next round in a tournament without playing an opponent; "he had a bye in the first round"|
|2.||bye - a farewell remark; "they said their good-byes"|
adieu, adios, arrivederci, au revoir, auf wiedersehen, bye-bye, cheerio, good day, goodby, good-by, goodbye, good-bye, sayonara, so long