Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An Indian chief, especially in the Spanish West Indies and other parts of Latin America during colonial and postcolonial times.
2. A local political boss in Spain or Latin America.
[American Spanish, from Arawak kassequa, chieftain.]
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) a Native American chief in a Spanish-speaking region
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (esp in Spanish America) a local political boss
3. (Animals) any of various tropical American songbirds of the genus Cacicus and related genera: family Icteridae (American orioles)
[C16: from Spanish, of Arawak origin; compare Taino cacique chief]
1. a chief of an Indian clan or tribe in Mexico and the West Indies.
2. (in Spain and Latin America) a political boss on a local level.
[1545–55; < Sp < Taino (Hispaniola)]