caïque(redirected from caique)
Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. A long narrow rowboat traditionally used on the Bosporus.
2. A small sailing vessel used in the eastern Mediterranean.
[French, from Italian caicco, from Ottoman Turkish qayıq (equivalent to modern Turkish kayık); akin to Old Turkic qayğuq, from qaymaq, to slide.]
1. (Nautical Terms) a long narrow light rowing skiff used on the Bosporus
2. (Nautical Terms) a sailing vessel of the E Mediterranean with a sprit mainsail, square topsail, and two or more jibs or other sails
[C17: from French, from Italian caicco, from Turkish kayik]
1. a long rowboat used on the Bosporus.
2. an E Mediterranean single-masted sailing vessel.
[1615–25; < French < Italian caicco < Turkish kayIk]