Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. Something easily accomplished: Winning the race was a cakewalk for her. See Synonyms at breeze1.
2. A public entertainment of the 1800s among African Americans in which walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes.
a. A strutting dance, often performed in minstrel shows.
b. The music for this dance.
intr.v. cake·walked, cake·walk·ing, cake·walks
1. To achieve or accomplish something easily.
2. To perform a strutting dance.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Dancing) a dance based on a march with intricate steps, originally performed by African-Americans with the prize of a cake for the best performers
2. (Music, other) a piece of music composed for this dance
3. informal an easily accomplished task
(Dancing) (intr) to perform the cakewalk
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a musical promenade of black American origin with the prize of a cake awarded to couples who demonstrated the most intricate or imaginative dance figures and steps.
2. a dance with a strutting step based on this promenade.
3. syncopated music suitable for a cakewalk.
4. Informal. something easy or certain.v.i.
5. to perform a cakewalk.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
cakewalk- Started out as a competitive dance whose winner got a cake as a prize.
See also related terms for prize.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: cakewalked
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
A dance in which couples walk in a square formation and take exaggerated high steps and turn corners precisely in mimicry of the white man’s artificial manners.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cakewalk - a strutting dance based on a march; was performed in minstrel shows; originated as a competition among Black dancers to win a cake|
|2.||cakewalk - an easy accomplishment; "winning the tournament was a cakewalk for him"; "invading Iraq won't be a cakewalk"|
|Verb||1.||cakewalk - perform the cakewalk dance|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.