calcify(redirected from calcifications)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to calcifications: Microcalcifications
tr. & intr.v. cal·ci·fied, cal·ci·fy·ing, cal·ci·fies
1. To make or become stony or chalky by deposition of calcium salts.
2. To make or become inflexible and unchanging.
vb, -fies, -fying or -fied
1. (Chemistry) to convert or be converted into lime
2. (Chemistry) to harden or become hardened by impregnation with calcium salts
v.t., v.i. -fied, -fy•ing.
1. to make or become calcareous or bony; harden by the deposit of calcium salts.
2. to make or become rigid or inflexible, as in an intellectual position.
Past participle: calcified
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||calcify - become impregnated with calcium salts|
decalcify - remove calcium or lime from; "decalcify the rock"
|2.||calcify - become inflexible and unchanging; "Old folks can calcify"|
change - undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one's or its original nature; "She changed completely as she grew older"; "The weather changed last night"
|3.||calcify - turn into lime; become calcified; "The rock calcified over the centuries"|
|4.||calcify - convert into lime; "the salts calcified the rock"|