Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or an instance of calling back from one location or situation to the previous one: a callback of laid-off auto workers.
2. A second or follow-up audition, especially as one of a set of such auditions for a role in a play.
3. A return telephone or radio call.
4. A recall of a recently sold product by the manufacturer to correct a defect.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
an invitation to someone who has attended an interview, audition, etc to attend a subsequent round in a selection process
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a summoning of workers back to work after a layoff.
2. a request to a performer to return for further auditioning.
3. a return telephone call.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.