Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Variant of caliper.
1. (Tools) (often plural) Also called: calliper compasses an instrument for measuring internal or external dimensions, consisting of two steel legs hinged together
2. (Medicine) med Also called: calliper splint a splint consisting of two metal rods with straps attached, for supporting or exerting tension on the leg
(Tools) (tr) to measure the dimensions of (an object) with a calliper
[C16: variant of calibre]
art at Caligula
or cal•li•per(ˈkæl ə pər)
1. Usu., calipers. an instrument for measuring thicknesses and diameters, consisting usu. of a pair of adjustable pivoted legs.
2. a calibrated instrument for measuring thickness or distances between surfaces, usu. having a screwed or sliding adjustable piece.
3. thickness or depth, as of paper or a tree.
4. the part of a disc-brake assembly that presses the brake pads against the disc.v.t.
5. to measure with calipers.
[1580–90; presumably alter. of caliber]
Past participle: callipered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||calliper - an instrument for measuring the distance between two points (often used in the plural)|
inside caliper - caliper for measuring inside dimensions (the size of a cavity or hole); points on its legs curve outward
measuring device, measuring instrument, measuring system - instrument that shows the extent or amount or quantity or degree of something
odd-leg caliper - caliper having the points on its legs both curve in the same direction
outside caliper - caliper for measuring outside dimensions; points on its legs curve inward
|Verb||1.||calliper - measure the diameter of something with calipers|