caloric(redirected from caloric test)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to heat: the caloric effect of sunlight.
2. Of or relating to calories: the caloric content of foods.
A hypothetically indestructible, uncreatable, highly elastic, self-repellent, all-pervading fluid formerly thought responsible for the production, possession, and transfer of heat.
(General Physics) of or concerned with heat or calories
(General Physics) obsolete a hypothetical elastic fluid formerly postulated as the embodiment of heat
ca•lor•ic(kəˈlɔr ɪk, -ˈlɒr-)
1. of or pertaining to calories.
2. of or pertaining to heat.
3. high in calories: a caloric meal.n.
5. a hypothetical fluid whose presence in matter was once thought to determine its thermal state.
[1785–95; < French calorique < Latin calor heat + French -ique -ic]
cal•o•ric•i•ty (ˌkæl əˈrɪs ɪ ti) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||caloric - relating to or associated with heat; "thermal movements of molecules"; "thermal capacity"; "thermic energy"; "the caloric effect of sunlight"|
|2.||caloric - of or relating to calories in food; "comparison of foods on a caloric basis"; "the caloric content of foods"|