cropper(redirected from came a cropper)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to came a cropper: without a hitch
A person who works land in return for a share of the yield; a sharecropper.
1. A heavy fall; a tumble.
2. A disastrous failure; a fiasco.
[Perhaps from the phrase neck and crop, completely.]
1. (Agriculture) a person who cultivates or harvests a crop
2. (Mechanical Engineering)
a. a cutting machine for removing the heads from castings and ingots
b. a guillotine for cutting lengths of bar or strip
3. (Textiles) a machine for shearing the nap from cloth
4. (Agriculture) a plant or breed of plant that will produce a certain kind of crop under specified conditions: a poor cropper on light land.
5. (Breeds) (often capital) a variety of domestic pigeon with a puffed-out crop
6. come a cropper informal
a. to fall heavily
b. to fail completely
1. one that crops.
2. a sharecropper.
3. a plant that furnishes a crop.Idioms:
come a cropper,
a. to fail decisively: His deal came a cropper.
b. to fall headlong.