Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. cam·e·os
a. A gem or shell carved in relief, especially one in which the raised design and the background consist of layers of contrasting colors.
b. The technique of carving in this way.
c. A medallion with a profile cut in raised relief.
2. A brief vivid portrayal or depiction: a literary cameo.
3. A brief appearance of a prominent actor or celebrity, as in a single scene of a motion picture. Also called cameo role.
v. cam·e·oed, cam·e·o·ing, cam·e·os
1. To make into or like a gem or shell carved in relief.
2. To portray in sharp, delicate relief, as in a literary composition.
To make a brief appearance, as in a film: She cameoed as Anne Boleyn in A Man for All Seasons.
[Italian cameo and Middle English cameu (from Old French camaieu and Medieval Latin camahūtus).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl cameos
1. (Art Terms)
a. a medallion, as on a brooch or ring, with a profile head carved in relief
b. (as modifier): a cameo necklace.
2. (Jewellery) an engraving upon a gem or other stone of at least two differently coloured layers, such as sardonyx, so carved that the background is of a different colour from the raised design
3. (Jewellery) a stone with such an engraving
a. a single and often brief dramatic scene played by a well-known actor or actress in a film or television play
b. (as modifier): a cameo role.
5. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms)
a. a short literary work or dramatic sketch
b. (as modifier): a cameo sketch.
[C15: from Italian cammeo, of uncertain origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. cam•e•os,
1. a gemstone or other hard substance, as coral, carved with a design in low relief, usu. so that an underlying darker layer of the material forms a background for the lighter tone of the design.
2. a jewel with a central ornament having a head in profile carved or set in relief.
3. an effective literary sketch or small dramatic scene.
4. Also called cam′eo role`. a small but notable part in a film, play, or television show, played esp. by a prominent performer, often in a single scene.adj.
5. of or pertaining to a cameo role.
[1375–1425; < Old French camaieu]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A small bas-relief carving in stone, glass, or shell, the design in relief being a different color from the background.
2. A gem on which a design has been engraved in relief.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
B. CPD cameo brooch N → camafeo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. n → cammeo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
cameo(ˈkӕmiəu) – plural ˈcameos – noun
an engraved stone with a raised design, used as jewellery. kamee حَجَرٌ ثَمين تُنْحَتُ طَبَقَتُهُ العُلْيا لِيَكونَ حِلْيَةً камея camafeu kamej die Kamera kamé καμέα (πέτρα με ανάγλυφο σχέδιο) camafeo kamee عقیق kamee camée תַּכשִׁיט אֶבֶן עִם תַבלִיט उर्त्कीण रत्न kameja kámea kameo gim-/skrautsteinn cammeo カメオ (보석) 카메오 kamėja kameja kameo cameekamékamea غمى چه برجسته اشكال ولرى او په تيره بيا چه لا ندنۍ مځكه يې څو څو رنګه وى: يو ډول حكاكى camafeu camee камея kamea, medailónik kameja kameja kamé หินแกะสลักที่ใช้เป็นเครื่องประดับ işlemeli akik 浮雕寶石 камея زیور کے طور پر ابھرواں نقش و نگار والا نگینہ đồ đá chạm 浮雕宝石
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.