can't(redirected from can+not)
Contraction of cannot.
1. insincere or hypocritical statements, esp. pious platitudes.
2. the private language of the underworld.
3. the words and phrases peculiar to a particular class, profession, etc.
4. whining or singsong speech.v.i.
5. to talk piously or hypocritically.
6. to beg in a whining or singsong tone.
[1495–1505; < Latin base cant- in cantus song, canticus singsong, etc.; see chant]
1. a salient angle.
2. a sudden movement that tilts or overturns a thing.
3. a slanting or tilted position.
4. an oblique line or surface, as one formed by cutting off the corner of a square or cube.
6. a sudden pitch or toss.
7. Also called flitch. a partly trimmed log.adj.
8. oblique or slanting.v.t.
9. to bevel; form an oblique surface upon.
10. to put in an oblique position; tilt; tip.
11. to throw with a sudden jerk.v.i.
12. to take or have an inclined position; tilt; turn.
[1325–75; Middle English: side, border < Anglo-French cant, Old French chant]
contraction of cannot.