Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A large tropical tree (Aleurites moluccana) of Southeast Asia and Oceania, cultivated for its nutlike seeds that can be used as candles and yield a drying oil used in paints, varnishes, lacquer, and soap.
2. The seed of this tree. In both senses also called candleberry, kukui.
1. (Plants) a euphorbiaceous tree, Aleurites mollucana, of tropical Asia and Polynesia
2. (Plants) the nut of this tree, which yields an oil used in paints and varnishes. In their native regions the nuts are strung together and burned as candles
1. the oily fruit or nut of a SE Asian tree, Aleurites moluccana, of the spurge family, the kernels of which when strung together are used locally as candles.
2. the tree itself.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||candlenut - large tree native to southeastern Asia; the nuts yield oil used in varnishes; nut kernels strung together are used locally as candles|
candlenut - seed of candlenut tree; source of soil used in varnishes
|2.||candlenut - seed of candlenut tree; source of soil used in varnishes|