Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of northeast Ohio south-southeast of Akron. It was the home of President William McKinley.
2. (kăn′tŏn′, kăn′tŏn′) See Guangzhou.
a. A small territorial division of a country, especially one of the states of Switzerland.
b. A subdivision of an arrondissement in France.
2. Heraldry A small, square division of a shield, usually in the upper right corner.
3. A usually rectangular division of a flag, occupying the upper corner next to the staff.
[French, from Old French, from Old Italian cantone, augmentative of canto, corner, from Vulgar Latin *cantus; see cant1.]
can′ton·al (kăn′tə-nəl, kăn-tŏn′əl) adj.
1. (Physical Geography) any of the 23 political divisions of Switzerland
2. (Physical Geography) a subdivision of a French arrondissement
3. (Heraldry) heraldry a small square or oblong charge on a shield, usually in the top left corner
4. (Physical Geography) (tr) to divide into cantons
5. (Military) (esp formerly) to allocate accommodation to (military personnel)
[C16: from Old French: corner, division, from Italian cantone, from canto corner, from Latin canthus iron rim; see cant2]
1. (Placename) a port in SE China, capital of Guangdong province, on the Zhu Jiang (Pearl River): the first Chinese port open to European trade. Pop: 3 881 000 (2005 est). Chinese names: Guangzhou or Kwangchow
2. (Placename) a city in the US, in NE Ohio. Pop: 80 806 (2000)
can•ton(ˈkæn tn, -tɒn, kænˈtɒn)
1. a small territorial district, esp. one of the states of the Swiss confederation.
2. a division of a French arrondissement.
3. the dexter chief area of a heraldic field.
4. Obs. division; part; section.
[1525–35; < Middle French < Old Provençal, derivative of can side, edge (see cant2)]
Can•ton(kænˈtɒn, ˈkæn tɒn for 1; ˈkæn tn for 2 )
2. a city in NE Ohio: location of the football Hall of Fame. 86,030.
Past participle: cantoned
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Canton - a city on the Zhu Jiang delta in southern China; the capital of Guangdong province and a major deep-water port|
|2.||canton - a small administrative division of a country|
administrative district, administrative division, territorial division - a district defined for administrative purposes
Swiss canton - one of the cantons of Switzerland
|Verb||1.||canton - provide housing for (military personnel)|
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
|2.||canton - divide into cantons, of a country|