Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cantor: canter, Cantor set
1. The Jewish religious official who leads the musical part of a service.
2. The person who leads a church choir or congregation in singing; a precentor.
can·to′ri·al (kăn-tôr′ē-əl, -tŏr′-) adj.
1. (Judaism) Judaism Also called: chazan a man employed to lead synagogue services, esp to traditional modes and melodies
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity the leader of the singing in a church choir
[C16: from Latin: singer, from canere to sing]
can•tor(ˈkæn tər, -tɔr)
1. the religious official of a synagogue who sings or chants the prayers to be performed as solos.
[1530–40; < Latin: singer]
can•to′ri•al (-ˈtɔr i əl, -ˈtoʊr-) adj.
Can•tor(ˈkæn tɔr, ˈkɑn-)
Ge•org (geɪˈɔrk) 1845–1918, German mathematician, born in Russia.
The person who chants prayers during worship in the synagogue.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cantor - the musical director of a choir |
musician - artist who composes or conducts music as a profession
|2.||cantor - the official of a synagogue who conducts the liturgical part of the service and sings or chants the prayers intended to be performed as solos|
spiritual leader - a leader in religious or sacred affairs
n → Kantor m