Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to capital stock: issued capital stock
1. The total amount of stock authorized for issue by a corporation, including common and preferred stock.
2. The total stated or par value of the permanently invested capital of a corporation.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Accounting & Book-keeping) the par value of the total share capital that a company is authorized to issue
2. (Economics) the total physical capital existing in an economy at any moment of time
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the total stock authorized or issued by a corporation.
2. the book value of such stock.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||capital stock - the maximum number of shares authorized under the terms of a corporation's articles of incorporation|
stock - the capital raised by a corporation through the issue of shares entitling holders to an ownership interest (equity); "he owns a controlling share of the company's stock"
|2.||capital stock - the book value of the outstanding shares of a corporation|
book value - the value at which an asset is carried on a balance sheet; equals cost minus accumulated depreciation
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.