Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Enlarged and globular at the tip, as a bone of the wrist having a rounded knoblike end or the stigma of certain flowers.
2. Having flowers arranged in a dense headlike cluster.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) botany shaped like a head, as certain flowers or inflorescences
2. (Zoology) zoology having an enlarged headlike end: a capitate bone.
[C17: from Latin capitātus having a (large) head, from caput head]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. globose, as certain leaf or flower clusters.
2. enlarged or knob-shaped at the end, as a bone.
[1655–65; < Latin capitātus having a head =capit-, s. of caput head + -ātus -ate1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||capitate - the wrist bone with a rounded head shape that articulates with the 3rd metacarpus|
|Adj.||1.||capitate - being abruptly enlarged and globose at the tip|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.