capitate(redirected from capitates)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Enlarged and globular at the tip, as a bone of the wrist having a rounded knoblike end or the stigma of certain flowers.
2. Having flowers arranged in a dense headlike cluster.
1. (Botany) botany shaped like a head, as certain flowers or inflorescences
2. (Zoology) zoology having an enlarged headlike end: a capitate bone.
[C17: from Latin capitātus having a (large) head, from caput head]
1. globose, as certain leaf or flower clusters.
2. enlarged or knob-shaped at the end, as a bone.
[1655–65; < Latin capitātus having a head =capit-, s. of caput head + -ātus -ate1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||capitate - the wrist bone with a rounded head shape that articulates with the 3rd metacarpus|
|Adj.||1.||capitate - being abruptly enlarged and globose at the tip|