capitulum(redirected from capitulum of the malleus)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. ca·pit·u·la (-lə)
1. A compact cluster of sessile flowers, often surrounded by involucral bracts, as of daisies and other composite plants.
2. A small knob or head-shaped part, such as a protuberance of a bone or the tip of an insect's antenna.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -la (-lə)
1. (Botany) a racemose inflorescence in the form of a disc of sessile flowers, the youngest at the centre. It occurs in the daisy and related plants
2. (Anatomy) anatomy zoology a headlike part, esp the enlarged knoblike terminal part of a long bone, antenna, etc
3. (Zoology) anatomy zoology a headlike part, esp the enlarged knoblike terminal part of a long bone, antenna, etc
[C18: from Latin, literally: a little head, from caput head]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ca•pit•u•lum(kəˈpɪtʃ ə ləm)
n., pl. -la (-lə).
any globose or knoblike part, as a flower head or the head of a bone.
[1715–25; < Latin: small head; see chapter]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||capitulum - a dense cluster of flowers or foliage; "a head of cauliflower"; "a head of lettuce"|
plant organ - a functional and structural unit of a plant or fungus
|2.||capitulum - fruiting spike of a cereal plant especially corn|
corn, Indian corn, maize, Zea mays - tall annual cereal grass bearing kernels on large ears: widely cultivated in America in many varieties; the principal cereal in Mexico and Central and South America since pre-Columbian times
mealie - an ear of corn
fruit - the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant
|3.||capitulum - an arrangement of leafy branches forming the top or head of a tree|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.