capriole(redirected from caprioled)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An upward leap made by a trained horse without going forward and with a backward kick of the hind legs at the height of the leap.
2. A playful leap or jump; a caper.
intr.v. cap·ri·oled, cap·ri·ol·ing, cap·ri·oles
To perform a capriole.
[French, from Italian capriola, somersault, from capriolo, roebuck, wild goat, from Latin capreolus, diminutive of caper, capr-, goat.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) dressage a high upward but not forward leap made by a horse with all four feet off the ground
2. (Ballet) dancing a leap from bent knees
3. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) (intr) to perform a capriole
4. (Ballet) (intr) to perform a capriole
[C16: from French, from Old Italian capriola, from capriolo roebuck, from Latin capreolus, caper goat]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -oled, -ol•ing. n.
1. a caper or leap.
2. a movement in manège in which the horse jumps completely off the ground, kicks its hind legs out horizontally in the air, and then lands again on the same spot.v.i.
3. to execute a capriole.
[1570–80; < Middle French < Italian capriola, n. derivative of capriolare to leap < Latin capreolus <capre(a) roe deer]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: caprioled
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||capriole - (dressage) a vertical jump of a trained horse with a kick of the hind legs at the top of the jump|
jumping, jump - the act of jumping; propelling yourself off the ground; "he advanced in a series of jumps"; "the jumping was unexpected"
dressage - maneuvers of a horse in response to body signals by the rider
|2.||capriole - a playful leap or hop|
|Verb||1.||capriole - perform a capriole, of horses in dressage|
|2.||capriole - perform a capriole, in ballet|
dance - move in a graceful and rhythmical way; "The young girl danced into the room"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.