Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An ornamental evergreen tree (Averrhoa carambola), native to Southeast Asia and having crisp, edible, yellow to orange, longitudinally ridged fruits that are star-shaped in cross section.
2. The fruit of this plant. Also called star fruit.
[Portuguese, perhaps from Marathi karambal.]
1. (Plants) a tree, Averrhoa carambola, probably native to Brazil but cultivated in the tropics, esp SE Asia, for its edible fruit
2. (Plants) Also called: star fruit the smooth-skinned yellow fruit of this tree, which is star-shaped in cross section
[C18: Spanish carambola a sour greenish fruit, from Portuguese, from Marathi karambal]
ca•ram•bo•la(ˌkær əmˈboʊ lə)
n., pl. -las.
1. a SE Asian tree, Averrhoa carambola, of the family Oxalidaceae, bearing deeply ridged, yellow-brown fruit.
2. Also called star fruit. the fruit itself.
[1590–1600; < Portuguese < Marathi karambal]
A yellow fruit from an Indonesian tree. Used to decorate fruit salads and ice cream.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||carambola - East Indian tree bearing deeply ridged yellow-brown fruit|
star fruit, carambola - deeply ridged yellow-brown tropical fruit; used raw as a vegetable or in salad or when fully ripe as a dessert
fruit tree - tree bearing edible fruit
|2.||carambola - deeply ridged yellow-brown tropical fruit; used raw as a vegetable or in salad or when fully ripe as a dessert|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh