Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to carnauba: carnauba palm
car·nau·ba(kär-nô′bə, -nou′-, -no͞o′-)
1. A palm tree (Copernicia prunifera) of Brazil, having fan-shaped waxy leaves.
2. A hard wax obtained from the leaves of this plant, used in polishes, cosmetics, and as a food additive. Also called carnauba wax.
[Portuguese, from Tupí carnaúba.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: wax palm a Brazilian fan palm, Copernicia cerifera
2. (Furniture) Also called: carnauba wax the wax obtained from the young leaves of this tree, used esp as a polish
[from Brazilian Portuguese, probably of Tupi origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
car•nau•ba(kɑrˈnaʊ bə, -ˈnɔ-, -ˈnu-)
n., pl. -bas.
1. a palm, Copernicia prunifera, of Brazil, having palmate leaves covered with wax.
2. Also called carnau′ba wax`. a hard lustrous wax obtained from the leaves of this tree and used as a polish and floor wax.
[1850–55; < Brazilian Portuguese < Tupi karana'iwa]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||carnauba - hard yellowish to brownish wax from leaves of the carnauba palm used especially in floor waxes and polishes|
carnauba palm, Copernicia cerifera, Copernicia prunifera, wax palm, carnauba - Brazilian fan palm having an edible root; source of a useful leaf fiber and a brittle yellowish wax
wax - any of various substances of either mineral origin or plant or animal origin; they are solid at normal temperatures and insoluble in water
|2.||carnauba - Brazilian fan palm having an edible root; source of a useful leaf fiber and a brittle yellowish wax|
fan palm - palm having palmate or fan-shaped leaves
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.