Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
merry-go-round: I still remember my first carousel ride when I was a small child.; a tournament on horseback
Not to be confused with:
carousal – loud, riotous drinking party: The carousal went on all night long.
car·ou·selor car·rou·sel (kăr′ə-sĕl′, -zĕl′)
1. A merry-go-round, as one at an amusement park.
2. A circular conveyor on which objects are displayed or rotated: a baggage carousel in an airport.
3. A tournament in which knights or horsemen engaged in various exercises and races.
[French carrousel, tilting match, carousel, from Italian carosello, tilting match.]
1. (Photography) a circular magazine in which slides for a projector are held: it moves round as each slide is shown
2. a rotating conveyor belt for luggage, as at an airport
3. US and Canadian a revolving circular platform provided with wooden animals, seats, etc, on which people ride for amusement. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): merry-go-round or roundabout
4. (Historical Terms) history a tournament in which horsemen took part in races and various manoeuvres in formation
[C17: from French carrousel, from Italian carosello, of uncertain origin]
car•ou•sel(ˌkær əˈsɛl, ˈkær əˌsɛl)
2. a continuously revolving conveyor on which items are placed: a baggage carousel at an airport.
3. a revolving case that displays merchandise for sale.
[1640–50; < French < Italian carosello kind of ball game]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||carousel - a conveyer belt that carries luggage to be claimed by air travelers|
|2.||carousel - a large, rotating machine with seats for children to ride or amusement|
ride - a mechanical device that you ride for amusement or excitement
carousel[ˌkærəˈsɛl] n (US) (= merry-go-round) → manège m
→ Karussell nt
(for slides) → Rundmagazin nt
(American) a merry-go-round. mallemeule حَفْلَةٌ فُروسِيَّه въртележка carrossel kolotoč das Karussell karrusel περιστρεφόμενα αλογάκια σε λούνα παρκ carrusel, tiovivo karussell چرخ و فلک karuselli manègeקרוסלה खूब मद्यपान करना vrtuljak körhinta komidi putar hringekja carosello メリーゴーランド 회전목마 karuselė karuselis karusel draaimolenkarusellkaruzela چرخ فلک carrossel carusel карусель kolotoč vrtiljak vrteška karusell ม้าหมุน atlıkarınca 旋轉木馬 карусель ہنڈولا ، جھولا trò kéo quân 旋转木马