Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to carpus: corpus callosum
n. pl. car·pi (-pī′)
1. The group of eight bones forming the joint between the forearm and the hand. Also called wrist.
2. A joint in quadrupeds corresponding to the wrist.
[New Latin, from Greek karpos, wrist.]
n, pl -pi (-paɪ)
1. (Anatomy) the technical name for wrist
2. (Anatomy) the eight small bones of the human wrist that form the joint between the arm and the hand
3. (Zoology) the corresponding joint in other tetrapod vertebrates
[C17: New Latin, from Greek karpos]
n., pl. -pi (-pī).
1. the wrist.
2. the wrist bones collectively.
[1670–80; < New Latin < Greek karpós wrist]
carpus- In humans, it is the group of eight bones that form the wrist and part of the hand.
See also related terms for wrist.
The wrist’s framework comprising eight small bones called carpal bones.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||carpus - a joint between the distal end of the radius and the proximal row of carpal bones|
carpal tunnel - a passageway in the wrist through which nerves and the flexor muscles of the hands pass
arm - a human limb; technically the part of the superior limb between the shoulder and the elbow but commonly used to refer to the whole superior limb