carrick bend

Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to carrick bend: sheet bend
click for a larger image
carrick bend

car·rick bend

n. Nautical
A type of knot used to fasten two cables or hawsers together.

[From obsolete carrick, variant of carrack.]

carrick bend

(Knots) a knot used for joining two ropes or cables together
[C19: perhaps variant of carrack]

car′rick bend`

(ˈkær ɪk)
a knot or bend for joining the ends of two ropes.
[1810–20; perhaps to be identified with Middle English carryk, variant of carrake carrack]
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.carrick bend - a knot used to connect the ends of two large ropes or hawserscarrick bend - a knot used to connect the ends of two large ropes or hawsers
knot - any of various fastenings formed by looping and tying a rope (or cord) upon itself or to another rope or to another object
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Less well-known are cat's paw, crabber's eye, Turk's head, sheepshank, halliard hitch, carrick bend and granny knots.
For example, the carrick bend is usually tied in one form then capsized to make it stronger.
The Carrix name is derived from the Carrick Bend Knot, also called the Anchor Bend or Sailor's Knot -- a knot that is used universally, is extremely strong and resists slippage.