Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A large receptacle, such as a bag, basket, or pocketbook, used to carry things from one place to another.
2. A closed automobile with two lengthwise seats facing each other.
3. A covered one-horse carriage with two seats.
[Alteration of cariole.]
1. US and Canadian a large strong bag with handles. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): holdall
2. a light four-wheeled horse-drawn carriage usually designed to carry four passengers
a large bag or lightweight piece of luggage.
1. a covered carriage having seats for four persons, usu. drawn by one horse.
2. an automobile or bus having two facing benches running the length of the body.
[1705–15, Amer.; alter., by folk etym., of cariole a two-wheeled cart < French carriole]