Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
car·toucheor car·touch (kär-to͞osh′)
1. A structure or figure, often in the shape of an oval shield or oblong scroll, used as an architectural or graphic ornament or to bear a design or inscription.
2. An oval or oblong figure in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics that encloses characters expressing the names or epithets of royal or divine personages.
3. A heavy paper cartridge case.
[French, from Italian cartoccio, paper cornet, from carta, card, paper; see carton.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Architecture) a carved or cast ornamental tablet or panel in the form of a scroll, sometimes having an inscription
2. (Historical Terms) an oblong figure enclosing characters expressing royal or divine names in Egyptian hieroglyphics
3. (Games, other than specified) the paper case holding combustible materials in certain fireworks
4. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) rare a cartridge or a box for cartridges
[C17: from French: scroll, cartridge, from Italian cartoccio, from carta paper; see card1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a rounded panel often containing an inscription, decoration, or coat of arms.
2. an oblong figure, as on ancient Egyptian monuments, enclosing the name of a sovereign.
[1605–15; < Middle French < Italian cartoccio]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An oval or oblong figure containing a royal or divine name in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cartouche - a cartridge (usually with paper casing)|
cartridge - ammunition consisting of a cylindrical casing containing an explosive charge and a bullet; fired from a rifle or handgun
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.