Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to casing: Sausage casing
1. An outer cover: a shell casing; a tire casing.
2. The frame or framework for a window or door.
3. A metal pipe or tube used as a lining for a water, oil, or gas well.
4. A membranous case, often made of animal intestine, used to contain sausage or other processed meat.
5. A narrow passage for a rod or cord, as in a curtain or the waistband of a garment, made by folding over a small strip of fabric at its edge along its width and sewing it in place.
1. a protective case or cover
2. material for a case or cover
3. (Architecture) Also called: case a frame containing a door, window, or staircase
4. (Cookery) the intestines of cattle, pigs, etc, or a synthetic substitute, used as a container for sausage meat
5. (Automotive Engineering) the outer cover of a pneumatic tyre
6. (General Engineering) a pipe or tube used to line a hole or shaft
7. (Mechanical Engineering) the outer shell of a steam or gas turbine
1. a case or covering; housing.
2. material for a case or covering.
3. the framework around a door or window.
4. the outermost covering of an automobile tire.
5. any frame or framework.
6. a steel pipe or tubing, esp. as used in oil and gas wells.
7. the tubular intestinal membrane of sheep, cattle, or hogs, or a synthetic facsimile, for encasing sausage, salami, etc.
8. a channel created in a garment or other article to carry a drawstring or elastic.
During the early years of the automobile, Tires were sometimes called casings.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||casing - the housing or outer covering of something; "the clock has a walnut case"|
boot - protective casing for something that resembles a leg
housing - a protective cover designed to contain or support a mechanical component
jacket - the tough metal shell casing for certain kinds of ammunition
|2.||casing - the outermost covering of a pneumatic tire|
covering - an artifact that covers something else (usually to protect or shelter or conceal it)
|3.||casing - the enclosing frame around a door or window opening; "the casings had rotted away and had to be replaced"|
doorway, room access, door, threshold - the entrance (the space in a wall) through which you enter or leave a room or building; the space that a door can close; "he stuck his head in the doorway"
framework - a structure supporting or containing something
window - a framework of wood or metal that contains a glass windowpane and is built into a wall or roof to admit light or air