Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
(intr, adverb) to make a mental or visual search: to cast about for an idea for a book.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||cast about - search anxiously|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. To send through the air with a motion of the hand or arm:
2. To move (a weapon or blow, for example) in the direction of someone or something:
4. To form a strategy for:
blueprint, chart, conceive, contrive, design, devise, formulate, frame, lay, plan, project, scheme, strategize, work out.
Informal: dope out.
Idiom: lay plans.
2. A disposition of the facial features that conveys meaning, feeling, or mood:
5. A class that is defined by the common attribute or attributes possessed by all its members:
breed, description, feather, ilk, kind, lot, manner, mold, nature, order, sort, species, stamp, stripe, type, variety.
6. An inclination to something:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.