Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms.
Related to cast down: cast aside
(tr, adverb) to make (a person) discouraged or dejected
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||cast down - lower someone's spirits; make downhearted; "These news depressed her"; "The bad state of her child's health demoralizes her"|
chill - depress or discourage; "The news of the city's surrender chilled the soldiers"
discourage - deprive of courage or hope; take away hope from; cause to feel discouraged
1. To send through the air with a motion of the hand or arm:
2. To move (a weapon or blow, for example) in the direction of someone or something:
4. To form a strategy for:
blueprint, chart, conceive, contrive, design, devise, formulate, frame, lay, plan, project, scheme, strategize, work out.
Informal: dope out.
Idiom: lay plans.
2. A disposition of the facial features that conveys meaning, feeling, or mood:
5. A class that is defined by the common attribute or attributes possessed by all its members:
breed, description, feather, ilk, kind, lot, manner, mold, nature, order, sort, species, stamp, stripe, type, variety.
6. An inclination to something: