Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to catchment: catchment basin
1. A catching or collecting of water, especially rainwater.
a. A structure, such as a basin or reservoir, used for collecting or draining water.
b. The amount of water collected in such a structure.
3. A catchment area.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Civil Engineering) the act of catching or collecting water
2. (Civil Engineering) a structure in which water is collected
3. (Civil Engineering) the water so collected
4. (Education) Brit the intake of a school from one catchment area
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. something for catching water, as a reservoir or basin.
2. the water so caught.
3. the act of catching water.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||catchment - a structure in which water is collected (especially a natural drainage area)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[water] (= process) → captage m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
catchment[ˈkætʃmənt] n (Geog) → bacino
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995