catchment area(redirected from catchment areas)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The area drained by a river or body of water. Also called catchment basin.
2. The surrounding area served by an institution, such as a hospital or school.
1. (Physical Geography) Also called: catchment basin, drainage area or drainage basin the area of land bounded by watersheds draining into a river, basin, or reservoir
2. the area from which people are allocated to a particular school, hospital, etc
2. an area served by a hospital, social service agency, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||catchment area - the entire geographical area drained by a river and its tributaries; an area characterized by all runoff being conveyed to the same outlet; "flood control in the Missouri basin"|
detention basin - a storage site (such as a small reservoir) that delays the flow of water downstream
retention basin - a storage site similar to a detention basin but the water in storage is permanently obstructed from flowing downstream