Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Of, at, or near the tail or hind parts; posterior: the caudal fin of a fish.
b. Situated beneath or on the underside; inferior.
2. Similar to a tail in form or function.
[New Latin caudālis, from Latin cauda, tail.]
1. (Anatomy) anatomy of or towards the posterior part of the body
2. (Zoology) zoology relating to, resembling, or in the position of the tail
[C17: from New Latin caudālis, from cauda]
1. of, at, or near the tail end of the body.
2. taillike: caudal appendages.
[1655–65; < New Latin caudālis= Latin caud(a) tail + -ālis -al1]
Of or near the tail or hind parts of an animal: a fish's caudal fin.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||caudal - constituting or relating to a tail; "caudal appendage"|
cephalic - of or relating to the head
|2.||caudal - resembling a tail|
|3.||caudal - situated in or directed toward the part of the body from which the tail arises; "caudal fins"; "the caudal end of the body"|
posterior - located at or near or behind a part or near the end of a structure
|Adv.||1.||caudal - toward the posterior end of the body|