intussusception(redirected from cecocolic intussusception)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Medicine Invagination, especially an infolding of one part of the intestine into another.
2. Biology Assimilation of new substances into the existing components of living tissue.
1. (Pathology) pathol invagination of a tubular organ or part, esp the telescoping of one section of the intestinal tract into a lower section, causing obstruction
2. (Biology) biology growth in the surface area of a cell by the deposition of new material between the existing components of the cell wall. Compare apposition3
[C18: from Latin intus within + susceptiō a taking up]
in•tus•sus•cep•tion(ˌɪn təs səˈsɛp ʃən)
1. a taking within.
2. Also called invagination. the slipping of one part within another, as of the intestine.
[1700–10; < Latin intus within + susceptiō an undertaking]
the process by which food or other matter is taken into the body and converted into tissue. Also introsusception. — intussusceptive, adj.See also: Bodily Functions
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||intussusception - the folding in of an outer layer so as to form a pocket in the surface; "the invagination of the blastula"|
|2.||intussusception - (biology) growth in the surface area of a cell by the deposit of new particles between existing particles in the cell wall|
growing, growth, ontogenesis, ontogeny, maturation, development - (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
n. intususcepción, invaginación tal como la de una porción del intestino que causa una obstrucción intestinal.