Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to centripetal: centripetal acceleration
1. Moving or directed toward a center or axis.
2. Operated by means of centripetal force.
3. Physiology Transmitting nerve impulses toward the central nervous system; afferent.
4. Botany Developing or progressing inward toward the center or axis, as in the head of a sunflower, in which the oldest flowers are near the edge and the youngest flowers are in the center.
5. Tending or directed toward centralization: the centripetal effects of a homogeneous population.
1. (General Physics) acting, moving, or tending to move towards a centre. Compare centrifugal
2. (General Physics) of, concerned with, or operated by centripetal force
3. (Botany) botany (esp of certain inflorescences) developing from the outside towards the centre
4. (Physiology) physiol another word for afferent
[C17: from New Latin centripetus seeking the centre; see centri-, -petal]
cen•trip•e•tal(sɛnˈtrɪp ɪ tl)
1. directed toward the center.
2. pertaining to or operated by centripetal force.
3. Physiol. afferent.
[1700–10; < New Latin centripet(us) center-seeking]
See also related terms for pushing.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||centripetal - tending to move toward a center; "centripetal force"|
centrifugal - tending to move away from a center; "centrifugal force"
|2.||centripetal - tending to unify|
|3.||centripetal - of a nerve fiber or impulse originating outside and passing toward the central nervous system; "sensory neurons"|
afferent - of nerves and nerve impulses; conveying sensory information from the sense organs to the CNS; "afferent nerves"; "afferent impulses"